Saturday, July 30, 2005

Denied!

Well, I heard back from my first ever submission.

"Dear Betsy:

Thank you for submitting "Misguided" to ---- ----- -----. However, your story--while it has many merits--doesn't quite fit what we are seeking to include in the ---- ----- --- anthology. Your story is too blatantly moralistic.

May you have success in placing your work elsewhere.

Best regards,

Et cetera..."

I don't think I could ask for a better first rejection. It wasn't what he was looking for, but it seems to cast a vote of confidence in that someone else will want it.

I can live with that.

5 comments:

GutterBall said...

Oh, damn. *facepalms* It's funny that those NICE rejections are so encouraging, ne?

I remember my first (kinda only, actually) rejection because it was also very nice! Heheh....

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Molly sent me here. Welcome to the blogosphere!! Congrats on that first rejection--keep sending those submissions out!

Pesh said...

Thanks for dropping by, Joely. Your website is a goldmine. You have more truly useful links on your site than I've ever found anywhere else. Thank you for posting them all in one place.

As soon as I find a new market, that story will hit the road again. Until then, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Burkhart sisters.

Pesh said...

Hey, Geeb...er, Molly, want to be my agent? You certainly know how to draw attention to things. Heheh.

Thanks for the encouragement, Diane. I never thought I'd be bouncing through my house chanting, "I got rejected!" Now, I can't wait for the next. After all, the more rejection slips I stack up, the more likely it is that the next will be an acceptance, as my name becomes a fixture in the slush pile.

Anyhoo, go Burkhart sisters! Heheh.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Wow, I'm so glad you find those links helpful! I have a few more I need to add--just haven't had the time. I'm a total sucker for a good myth/legend site!